Saturday 16 March 2013

Here's a link to a video produced in 2011 providing some startling statistics regarding the extent to which the students of today are wired into digital resources, and how outmoded an educational delivery system based on books and lectures has become.  Indeed, the video asserts that online learners outperform students who participate in face-to-face sessions.

I'd like to see some research that supports that statement.  In Teaching Naked, Jose Bowen expresses the view that face time is invaluable in order to develop the higher learning, critical thinking elements at the top of Bloom's taxonomy (Bowen, 2012).

A useful message in the video that I do accept is that our learners will only get to an understanding of a subject matter if they are able to create and share as an integral part of the learning process.  As the video says: "Tell me, and I will forget.  Show me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I will understand."

I still use a chalkboard, at times.  I wonder how long it will be before you will only see chalkboards in a museum? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zKdPOHhNfY

References:

Bowen, J. (2012).  Teaching Naked:  How Moving Technology Out of Your College Classroom Will Improve Student Learning, San Francisco, CA, Jossey-Bass Wiley

No comments:

Post a Comment